Some Tips about using a Dell PowerEdge T640 as a Workstation (or Frankenstation)






Rationale 

As much as I liked my T4X0 machines (T430, T440) with RHEL, I started to feel limited in terms of PCIe slots, HDD bays, DIMM slots and CPUs.

I have slowly started to decommission the T4X0 machines to replace them with T6X0 machines.

The T640 was a little more difficult to make into a silent workstation than the T630's so here are a few notes to help others:


  • CPUs

Nothing fancy here. The T640 accepts cpus up to 205W so I went for that.

If your CPUs are above 165W each, make sure to get a pair of high wattage heatsinks from Dell ( Dell P/N: 0VX3D )

Here's a 0489KP heatsink (stock, left) next to a K2PNJ heatsink (right).






  • RAM

Most of the Xeon Scalable 2nd Gen literature mentions DDR4-2633 or above but 2400 and 2133 LRDIMMs do work fine too.

I'm currently using 16 x 32gb 2133MHz LRDIMM with my Xeon Platinum 26C/52T 8269CY CPUs:

# memconf 

memconf:  V3.15 16-Jul-2019 http://sourceforge.net/projects/memconf/

Dell Inc. PowerEdge T640 (2 X 26-Core Hyper-Threaded Intel(R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8269CY @ 2.50GHz)

Memory Error Correction: Multi-bit ECC

Maximum Memory: 3145728MB (3TB)

A1: 32 GB 2133 MT/s Synchronous LRDIMM DDR4 DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

A2: 32 GB 2133 MT/s Synchronous LRDIMM DDR4 DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

A3: 32 GB 2133 MT/s Synchronous LRDIMM DDR4 DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

A4: 32 GB 2133 MT/s Synchronous LRDIMM DDR4 DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

A5: 32 GB 2133 MT/s Synchronous LRDIMM DDR4 DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

A6: 32 GB 2133 MT/s Synchronous LRDIMM DDR4 DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

[...]

B6: 32 GB 2133 MT/s Synchronous LRDIMM DDR4 DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

B7: 32 GB 2133 MT/s Synchronous LRDIMM DDR4 DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

B8: 32 GB 2133 MT/s Synchronous LRDIMM DDR4 DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) HMA84GL7MMR4N-TF

empty memory sockets: A9 A10 A11 A12 B9 B10 B11 B12

total memory = 524288MB (512GB)


So don't pay a premium for your RAM; instead, target the best deal for your system and your wallet.

  • GPUs

Unlike its older cousin the T630, the T640 makes it a little harder for us to use say, a GeForce and remain silent: As soon as the internal GPU Power Distribution Board is installed, the T640 will start requesting an extra fan (that of course didn't come with the machine).

Depending on the PCIe slot in which you got your video card installed, it will be 'Right External Fan' or 'Left External Fan'. (here's a picture of the Right External Fan - the on the left):


Please don't try to connector a non-Dell Fan to the appropriate fan (L or R) connector on your motherboard, it can easily short and you'd have to have to motherboard replaced.

There's one BIG caveat with those external fans : since they cover the back of the PCIe slots, you CANNOT use external connectors on the back of your PCIe cards. I guess it's probably only good for machine learning and TensorFlow but I like my GPUs connected to a Monitor, Thanks.

Also, if you don't have the external Fan that the system is requesting, the T640 will think cooling configuration is degraded and will put -ALL- of the other fans (Back Fans, Mid-Tray Fans, PSU Fans) at 100% (think of a Boeing 747 at takeoff).

After using (successfully) a Geforce GTX 1660 Ti in my T640 for a few weeks (with the fan hanging on the back of the machine), I dropped the ball and got a Quadro GPU without an external power connector. 

This also required that I removed the GPU Power Distribution Board which is placed underneath the motherboard. The T630 - with the same GPU Board - does NOT require any additionnal external fans at all and my GTX 1660Ti GPUs are very fine in my T630's.


  • Cooling configuration and Fans

As I've previously mentioned, Dell took away the ability to control Fan speed through IPMI raw commands in iDRAC 9th revision 3.34.34.34 and above. So, unless you plan to stay on 3.30.30.30 forever, the only way to control fan speed is to play nice with the iDRAC. Here are couple takeways which will help your ears:

- Don't use 3rd party HDD's (I had a single WD Red 8Tb), try to replace them with Dell HDDs, Enterprise HDDs or NVMe drives.

- Removing the single WD 8To Red from the T640 made a big difference in fan rpm but my 860 Samsung EVOs behind a PERC H730P work just fine.

- NVMe drives don't seem to kick the fans into high gear (I'm using two HGST SN260 7.68Tb drives).

- The mid-tray Fans aren't all that noisy but the Sunon seem better noise-wise than the Deltas. (I have one set of each).

- Set your system to 'Minimum Power' and disable the 'Fan Speed Offset':

Go to 'Configuration', then 'System Settings', then 'Hardware Settings', then 'Cooling Configuration'









  • PCIe slots


Here are the backs of a T440 (left) and a T640 (right):

The T440 has fewer PCIe slots and one of them is occupied by the PERC card which manages the backplane.
On the T640, that PERC card uses a PCIe slot in the middle of the Tower which leaves the back PCIe slots free for use.























Comments

  1. Which Quadro card did you end up using? I have a new T640 arriving soon and will need a GPU as well for OBS usage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I got a Quadro P2200 from Lenovo. It's probably not the best 3D card but it works fine for me and doesn't require the additional GPU board (which makes the T640 ask for external fans).
      I hope this helps,
      Vincent

      Delete
  2. Hi, I have the same problem, need external access to the rear ports so I removed the external fans and have them taped down to hold them in place. Are you saying that by setting the fan speed offset, I will be able to unplug these fans, or do I need to look into my HDD selection as well? (IIRC I have a few 2TB WD Blue drives). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, Unfortunately, I don't think the fan speed offset will make a difference for the external fans. In my experience, as soon as you have the GPU power distribution board installed, the system will start requiring the external Fans.
      Now, for the HDDs. Any HDD will bump up the fans. I've found Samsung 2Tb EVOs to be a great replacement for 2Tb drivers (these don't make the fans go crazy).
      I hope it helps,
      Vincent

      Delete
  3. I was also testing this in my T640. In my case even worst, as I have the 18 3.5 bays model, with 6 standard fans (4 middle and 2 rear).
    Just inserting the GPU power distribution board, it jumps to alert you something is missing, and fans going to almost 100%. Inserting the L external, the alert for missing fan is missing, but then jumping an alert, about mismatch in the fans, as the internal ones are standard and the external is gigh performance and Dell doesn't allow to mix them.
    Then inserting a nvidia 3060 12Gb, I got your issue, with fans going 90%. But I found a solution for this, using racadm instruction set System.PCIESlotLFM.x.LFMMode 1 (with x the number of PCIe slot where nvidia card is installed). This is disbling the overcooling with 3rd party cards and fans are going again to 40% and can be controlled as usual.
    Still I have the problem with the mix of fans, but I,m not plannign to invest more than 600$ replacing the standard fans. So ignoring the alert by now.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I forgot to mention. The T640 can use only the external left fan, or both. But not only the external right one. It considers a degrade in fans. This is independent of the slot where you insert the GPU.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LSI MegaRaid HBA's, overheating and one ugly hack

Some Tips about running a Dell PowerEdge Tower Server as your workstation

VMWare Worksation 12 on Fedora Core 23/24 (fc23 and fc24)